European Governance and Public Policy (MSc Econ)
1 year (Full-time) / 2 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
To offer knowledge and expertise in governance and the development and implementation of public policy in the EU and Western Europe, and allied generic skills.
- Training in the use of information resources, including electronic sources such as: databases and the internet; research design, in particular on the constitution of a formal dissertation proposal; the comparative method; interpretation of survey results; elite interview techniques.
- The history of European integration, its institutions, and their development in the context of globalisation, is placed in a theoretical context and takes advantage of the research resources of the European Documentation Centre at Cardiff University.
- Focus on European policy processes and/or governance issues at national level (Britain, France, Germany and Italy) and EU level, paying particular attention to the theories and institutional and actor realities of supranationalism, intergovernmentalism and multi-level governance.
- Research training in generic and allied transferable skills.
The MSc European Governance and Public Policy programme is designed to give students a broad understanding of governance and policy-making issues in a European context. The course combines the study of key aspects of the European Union with the comparative analysis of leading EU nations such as Germany, France, Italy and Britain. This Masters course will train you to critically assess political concepts and arguments, as well as prepare you to pursue further research in the field of European integration and public policy.
For employers, a Master's degree in European Governance and Public Policy means that you have an excellent understanding of governance and public policy processes in Europe which will be of use whether you work in government or in the private and voluntary sectors, both of which need staff who know how to deal with government. It also means that you have sophisticated analytical, research and communications skills. For these reasons the degree opens the way for careers in a wide range of fields. These include public service at local, Welsh, UK, EU and international levels; business (including multinational corporations), journalism, policy research and consultancy.
- Information collection and assimilation
- Analysis, argumentation and exposition
- Presentational skills
The focus on the European Union and European Governance and Public Policy is complemented by options enabling comparative analysis of governance and/or public policy in France, Germany, Italy and the UK, as well as key policy areas such as the Euro and international political economy more generally. Assessment is usually by 3,500-word essay for each module and a dissertation of no more than 20,000 words.
- Europe And Globalisation
- European Economic Governance And Policies
- European Governance and Public Policy
- European Political Economy
- European Union External Relations
- EU Law and Governance
- Governing and Policy-Making in Britain
- Nationalism In Europe
- Public International Law
- Research Methods: Approaches To Knowledge
- State Crisis – Changing Governance In Italy
A minimum 2:1 degree classification or equivalent qualification. Suitable for graduates in Politics, International Relations, Philosophy, Economics and Public Administration. Graduates with any social science degree will also be considered.
In addition, applicants whose first language is not English must obtain an overall IELTS score of 6.5 with 6.5 in writing and 6.0 in all other components, or an equivalent English language qualification.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
Cardiff University Masters Excellence Scheme
This course is included in the Masters Excellence Scholarship 2015 (Pathway to PhD) scheme. If you are looking at applying for a Masters degree with the intention of going on to study at PhD level then you are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The application will ask you to consider your research area and future sources of funding. It is recognised, however, that in making this application there is not a commitment to undertake further study, or to undertake further studies at Cardiff University. Similarly, in making an award, Cardiff University is not committing to making an offer for further study or for a further award.
UK & EU Full Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
UK & EU Part Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
International Full Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
International Part Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
Next intake: September each year
Name: Postgraduate Politics Admissions Administrator
Telephone: +44(0) 2920 874 588