ZZCardiff University Jameel Scholarships in MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain (Master's Studentship)
Reference Number: P2243
Cardiff University Jameel MA Scholarships – 3 scholarships available for the MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain for the academic year 2015/2016
The Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK (Islam-UK Centre) at Cardiff University is pleased to invite applications for the Cardiff University Jameel Scholarships. Three scholarships for the MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain are available for start in September 2015.
Founded in 2005, the Islam-UK Centre works towards the promotion of better understanding of Islam and the life of Muslims in Britain, through high quality teaching and research. Its activities address issues which are central to the situation of Muslims in contemporary Britain. The Centre provides unique training and research opportunities for those seeking onward employment in a range of academic and non-academic careers.
With the help of a very generous gift to the University, the Jameel Scholarships have been established to enable the very best students to come to Cardiff – those who have the intellect and determination to apply their knowledge for the benefit of Muslim communities in the UK, and to promote better understanding of Islam in wider society.
Each successful Cardiff University Jameel Scholar has full UK/EU tuition fees paid and receives a generous stipend (of approximately £16000) equivalent to an AHRC stipend plus a research allowance for books/conferences. Full-time MA awards will provide funding for one year.
Three scholarships are available for start in September 2015.
- A first class or very high upper-second class honours degree in a relevant subject (Religious Studies, Islamic Studies, Social Sciences, Philosophy or History) from a UK university
- Full awards are open only to UK and EU nationals who satisfy UK residency requirements
- Priority will be given to candidates with a demonstrable record of interest in, and/or enthusiasm for, working with British Muslims
- Willingness to attend all Islam-UK centre activities and events (e.g weekly Spring Semester Public Lecture Series) and to undertake some voluntary work with local Muslim communities in South Wales
Please see our website for further information on eligibility.
How to Apply
Deadline: 30th of January 2015
All MA scholarship candidates are required to complete the following:
- A Cardiff University Postgraduate application for the MA Islam in Contemporary Britain. This can only be completed by using the Cardiff University Student Information and Management System (SIMS) where applicants will need to register as a 'New User'. In order to do this, the applicant first needs to go to http://www.cf.ac.uk/regis/general/applyonline/sharepgt.html and follow the instructions for applying for the MA Islam in Contemporary Britain. Full-time applications must be made by the deadline.
- An MA Jameel Scholarship Application Form, all sections of which must be completed in full. MA Jameel Scholarships Application Forms are available to download on the right-hand side of this page. Completed forms must be submitted as an email attachment with the heading ‘MA Jameel Scholarships’ to email@example.com by the deadline.
- Two references, of which AT LEAST one, must be from a University from which the applicant has graduated. References should be completed on an MA Referee Report Form which should be sent as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. The MA Referee Report Form is available to download on the right-hand side of this page. Applicants should follow instructions given on the MA Referee Report Form. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that references are received by the deadline. Failure to do so will compromise the application.
- A complete transcript of all marks achieved to date to be sent as an email attachment to email@example.com by the deadline. Failure to do so will compromise the application.
Please contact the Postgraduate Administrator for any queries on 029 208 70903 (Mon-Thurs, 10am-4pm)
Interviews for short-listed candidates are likely to be held in the School of History, Archaeology and Religion, John Percival Building, Colum Drive, Cardiff, CF10 3EU in the week beginning 16th March 2015.
The Cardiff School of History, Archaeology and Religion is one of the most distinguished, respected centres for the study of religion and theology in the UK, as well as being regarded as exceptionally friendly and welcoming by its students. The Islam-UK Centre was formally established in September 2005 at an opening launch attended by some 400 guests, including guest of honour, Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens). Since then, the Centre has developed a recognised local, national, and international profile, and has welcomed visiting scholars from Italy, Poland and the USA. It has attracted research grants worth over £1 million, and has a flourishing community of researchers, teachers, and students. Local Muslim organisations are actively engaged in the Centre. We are proud of this partnership, and the opportunities that arise as a consequence of shared collaborative activities.
Jameel scholars with Mr & Mrs Jameel. Back L-R: Adviya Khan, Christian Hoffmann, Rosei Lewis, Abdul-Azim Ahmed, Sophie Gilliat-Ray, Carl Morris, Mustafa Hameed, Roz Warden, Helen Falconer. Front L-R: Mrs & Mr Jameel.
Through rigorous academic scholarship, and extensive public dissemination of research on relevant and topical projects, postgraduate students at Cardiff can lead the way in helping to define and promote the understanding of Islam in the UK in the future. The Islam-UK Centre acts as an inter-disciplinary hub for research and teaching on all aspects of Islam and Muslims in the UK at Cardiff University, and we have particularly strong links with colleagues in the fields of law, history, journalism, Islamic studies, business studies and finance, ethnomusicology, and sociology. As a result we are able to draw upon the expertise of scholars from many different fields in order to support students engaged in inter-disciplinary work, whilst also providing them with access to academics of international repute.
Read about current and previous Jameel MA scholars.
» Find out more about Postgraduate Study at Cardiff University.