The General Sir John Monash Scholarships - Australian Citizens Only.
Reference Number: R355
Key Award Information
Annually, up to eight Awards may be awarded to outstanding Australian citizens graduating from Australian Universities to enable them to undertake postgraduate study abroad at the world’s best Universities, appropriate to their field of study.
The General Sir John Monash Awards are not limited by age, gender, and academic field of study, country or university, subject to the university being considered to be amongst the global leaders in the chosen field of study. However, whilst no upper age limit is stipulated, Awards will generally favour those whose major contribution to their field and to the community lies ahead of them.
Up to AUD $150,000 over 3 years.
The General Sir John Monash Awards may be held concurrently with other scholarships or awards, at the discretion of the Foundation; the annual Award sum of $50,000 is normally paid in two equal payments, in advance and after six months.
In awarding scholarships, important factors considered include:
· Outstanding intellect - demonstrated, inter alia, by academic excellence (having completed or are about to complete by the end of the year of application, a university degree or degrees with outstanding results, such as an honours degree (with a classification of 1 or 2A) or equivalent, scholarship, language skills, musical skills and/or publications;
· Leadership - demonstrated and potential including outside an applicants field of study or professional field. Leadership skills may also be demonstrated by the range and degree of engagements in cultural, community and sporting activities;
· Altruism and active citizenship - community consciousness and service;
· Presentation - inter-personal and communication skills; Character strengths;
· Proof of arrangements with a foreign University to conduct a well-defined research project or study programme;
· The case presented by the Applicant of the significance of the applicant’s potential contribution to their field and to the community. Will it make a significant difference to
· Referee Reports outlining the Applicant’s abilities.
· Applicants must be Australian citizens. There is no age restriction provided the applicant’s major contribution to their field and to the community lies ahead.
Academic Criteria: The Foundation supports study programmes in any field, which leads to the highest academic research degree generally accepted in that field of study. Principally this will be a PhD or DPhil or an equivalent research doctoral degree. Only in exceptional circumstances, would the Foundation consider supporting an applicant to undertake a Masters Degree that extends their capability for a special purpose.
How to Apply
Please visit the website to download the word documents containing the instructions to Applicants, the Application Form and the Referee Report Forms.
Deadline: Applications for General Sir John Monash Awards close each year on the 31st August or the next working day if this date occurs on a week-end or public holiday.
For further information please visit their website at http://www.monashawards.org/home.asp, or alternatively please contact either Mr Ken Crompton (Chief Executive Officer) or Mrs Marcia Davies (Executive Assistant) via;
The General Sir John Monash Foundation
30 Collins Street
Tel: (613) 9654 8811
Fax: (613) 9654 3411
Available to applicants from: