Accounting and Finance (MSc)
1 year (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)
The MSc in Accounting and Finance has been designed to provide students with both the breadth and depth of knowledge and expertise necessary to cope with the ever-changing financial environment.
- A modular, research-led degree delivered by experienced academic staff with international research profiles.
- A degree which provides students with an opportunity to focus on international aspects of Accounting and Finance.
- Provides excellent training for those who wish to pursue doctoral level research with a view to an academic of research-orientated career.
The course covers the financial and managerial aspects of accounting together with the essential principles of finance.
The course is designed to provide students with a comprehensive and rigorous training in advanced accounting and finance. Students take a total of six compulsory modules and two optional modules and submit a research dissertation. It offers knowledge and expertise: for a career in accountancy and finance, including management accounting and control, financial reporting, international corporate finance, international accounting, and research in accounting and finance.
The following core modules are studied in the Autumn Semester:
- Advanced Financial Reporting (BST152)
- Research Methods (BST153)
- Management Accounting and the Control of Organizational Performance (BST155)
- Finance and Investment (BST156)
During the Spring Semester, students complete the following two core modules:
- Research Topics in Accounting (BST251)
- Research Topics in Finance (BST252)
Students must also select two modules from the following list in the second semester:
- International Corporate Finance (BST253)
- Financial Derivatives (BST254)
- International Accounting (BST255)
- Accounting and Finance in China (BST257)
- Asset Pricing (BST260)
In the Summer Sumester, students will take the following dissertation module:
- Assesseed Assignments, Examination and Dissertation (BST259)
Although this is a specialist programme, students will have a wide range of employment options to choose from, including professional accountancy, the financial services sector, management consultancy or a specialist position in the public sector.
This programme is suitable for graduates who possess an upper second class honours degree (2:1, GPA 3.0/4.0) in accounting and finance (separately or combined) from a recognised institution or a related degree which includes the following modules: two financial accounting modules, two management accounting modules, two finance modules.
Students whose first language is not English will be required to pass an IELTS exams with a score of 6.5, with a subscore of 6 in each paper
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
Tuition Fees 2016/17
Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.
|UK & EU||International|
|Deposit||n/a||Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.|
Next intake: September each year
Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, Cardiff Business School
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 6953