Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) (PgDip)
10 months (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)
The Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) is a mandatory professional qualification prior to a Pupillage and becoming a barrister.
Cardiff Law School has delivered a high quality and highly regarded Bar Professional Training Course/ Bar Vocational Course since the course was first introduced by the Bar Council in 1997.
Our BPTC will bridge the gap between your academic study of law and your practice as a pupil. It will also provide you with a solid foundation in knowledge and skills for your early years of tenancy. The course aims to foster a professional and ethical approach to practice as a barrister, whilst
giving you an informed view of a barrister’s working life.
- A guaranteed period of two weeks' placements (offering mini-pupillage with a local Chambers or other placement with the employed Bar, and a marshalling with a local Circuit Judge and District Judge).
- A high staff/student ratio ensures a high level of individual feedback and support on performance in the oral and written skills.
- A course strongly supported by the local employed Bar, the independent Bar and the Judiciary.
- A student’s opportunity to practise all skills exceeds the Bar Standards Board’s minimum recommended number.
The BPTC programme is a skills-based intensive full-time 10-month course to prepare a prospective Barrister for pupillage.
Students will experience a carefully designed course in a highly supportive learning environment. Learning will mostly take place in small groups of 12 or 6 students and will focus on practical knowledge and written and oral skills. The Course focuses on the development of Advocacy skills, by providing you with 2 hour classes in groups of 6 or less almost every week across all three terms. Students will be expected to develop practitioner skills and copies of practitioners’ texts will be provided.
Up to spring break, students study the Knowledge Areas of:
- Civil Litigation, Evidence and Remedies and
- Criminal Litigation, Evidence and Sentencing
together with the Core skills:
- Advocacy 1, 2 + 3
- Opinion Writing
- Professional Ethics
- Resolution of Disputes Out of Court
After Spring break students continue with the Core Skill of Advocacy 2 + 3 and the optional subjects (students choose 2 subjects) Sample options include:
- Criminal Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Employer's Liability & Clinical Negligence
The BPTC course is suitable for graduates in Law or any other subject with CPE/GDL. Applicants should show a commitment to the profession (e.g. via placements, mooting competitions, public speaking).
To enrol on the course students need to have:
- completed your academic stage;
- obtained a 2:2 class degree or higher;
- been admitted as a student member of one of the four Inns of Court;
- satisfied the English language requirement; and
- passed the Bar Aptitude test.
You can download a copy of the Bar Student Application System Guide here.
For more information on annual application deadlines, please see the Bar Standards Board website.
Course fees do not include the Bar Standard's Board registration fee. This is payable in respect of each student registered on the BPTC and which we collect on behalf of the BSB when you enrol in September.
Tuition Fees 2016/17
Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.
|UK & EU||International|
|Deposit||Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.||Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.|
Please note that the tuition fee includes the costs of all texts and materials (£950), which you will require to study the course, and there will be no additional reading list materials to purchase.
The tuition fee also includes the administration fee charged by the Bar Standards Board (BSB), which we are required by the BSB to collect from each student on enrolment. Currently, the fee is £550, but could be subject to change by the BSB.
Next intake: September each year
Name: Shani Hughes (BPTC)
Telephone: +44 (0)2920 876106