Church History (MTh)
1 year (Full-time) / 2 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
To offer knowledge and expertise for further research and/or a role in higher education, RE teaching, ordained ministry and other professions valuing a humanities postgraduate degree.
- Draws on internationally-recognised expertise in Christianity, from its inception to the contemporary era
- Small, student-focused tutorials rather than formal lectures
- Facilitates a flexible programme of study geared towards the individual student
- Enables professional development needs for reflective learning
- Provides a subject-specific introduction to postgraduate study skills
Part 1 consists of a skills module and two optional modules which are flexible, with variability of content from year to year.
Current options include:
- Church History 1
- Church History 2
- Byzantine Christianity
- Byzantine Greek Texts
- Patristic Latin Texts
- Second Century Christianity
- Christian Ethics
- Christian Doctrine
Supporting languages are also available: Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Aramaic, Arabic and Syriac.
Assessment is by written assignments of approximately 5,000 words.
Part 2 consists of a dissertation of approximately 16,000 words on a topic of the student’s choice, to be submitted at the beginning of September.
The course is suitable for graduates in Religious Studies and a wide variety of other Humanities disciplines. Applicants should possess a first or second class UK Honours degree, or equivalent.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
UK & EU Full Time for 2013/14
UK & EU Part Time for 2013/14
International Full Time for 2013/14
International Part Time for 2013/14
Next intake: September each year
Name: Rev Dr Karen Smith
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2025 6066