Civil Engineering (MSc)
1 year (full-time) / 3 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)
Offers knowledge and expertise for a career as a consulting civil engineer across the broad spectrum of the professional discipline.
- The employment record of graduates is excellent, with the majority of graduates joining engineering consultancies.
- This programme has been accredited by the ICE, IStructE, IHT and IHIE for intakes 2015-2020 inclusive. This programme is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (partial) BEng (Hons) or an Accredited IEng (full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree
- See the JBM website for further information.
The overall aim of this well-established course is to enhance the engineering skills of its graduates. The taught material is delivered during the Autumn and Spring semesters. An extended project within one of the Civil Engineering fields forms a major part of the course. This course's graduate employment record is excellent, with the majority of graduates joining engineering consultancies.
Topics covered on the course include:
- Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- Advanced Engineering Geology
- Steel Structures
- Advanced Engineering Management
- Numerical Techniques in Engineering
- Theoretical Soil Mechanics
- Management in Industry
- Water Quality and Treatment Engineering
- Coastal and Estuarine Engineering
- Engineering Case Study
An upper 2nd class honours degree in Civil Engineering or a similar field from a good UK university or an equivalent international degree qualification. If you have a good 2:2 or equivalent, or relevant industrial experience, we'll give your application individual consideration.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass IELTS exams. The minimum requirement is an IELTS score of 6.5. Please see our English language requirements for more information.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
Tuition Fees 2016/17
Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.
|UK & EU||International|
|Deposit||n/a||Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.|
Next intake: September each year
Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, School of Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0050