Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Master Scholarships £500,000 worth of scholarships available now

Clinical Optometry (MSc/PgDip/PgCert)

n/a (Full-time) / Varies (Part-time) / Varies (Distance / E-Learning)

Course Aims

WOPEC Logo

Our distance learning MSc in Clinical Optometry has been developed to combine allowing students to enhance their skills and knowledge in key areas with obtaining quality postgraduate qualifications in a flexible and supportive environment. A wide range of modules are available with many including practical training.

College of Optometrists Logo

Special Features

Course Description

Optometry Research

Facilities include new and refurbished clinics and laboratories, all fitted with state-of-the-art equipment.

The MSc in Clinical Optometry is a part-time, distance learning (e-Learning) course with practical tutorials/workshops to accompany many modules. There are four ways to learn with us. Students can enrol for:

The emphasis is on flexible learning for the individual and typical progress would be to complete twenty credits per academic term, so it would normally take 2-3 years to complete the MSc, including the research project.

The course will allow eye care professionals to enhance both their knowledge and clinical skills via a unique combination of distance learning and practical tuition. Students will have access to:

Course Structure

The majority of the course will be delivered via Learning Central, the University's e-Learning system. You will have access to multimedia lecture presentations, supporting resources and discussions led by course tutors. On many of the modules leading educators in the field also provide practical skills workshops and tutorial.

Formative and summative assessment is via online multiple-choice questions, submitted written coursework and assignments, plus practical exams where appropriate.

24 modules are available including:

Optometry Research

Many of the modules include practical, hands-on training

Library and IT Services: As a Cardiff University student you will have access to the library and computing services and will benefit from extended library loans, postal loans, email transmission of scanned articles and access to electronic information resources such as online journals. You can also become a member of SCONUL, a system allowing students to borrow material from other participating libraries in the UK and Ireland.

In addition students will be invited to a induction day at Cardiff University where they will have the opportunity to meet the tutors and attend IT and library training

Skills Acquired

Student Profile

'Since starting the program my confidence as an Optometrist has been boosted and I now know I deliver a much higher standard of care to my patients.'

Anaeka Sodha, 2nd Year Student

Read Anaeka's full testimonial

Testimonial Anaeka Sodha

Anaeka Sodha

'I originally applied to Cardiff University after realising I already had credits via my LOC that contributed towards a recognised College of Optometrists Certificate. I decided to study the next Glaucoma module in the series and added Optometric Law at the last minute as the content looked intriguing.

'All lectures and learning material are online so can be accessed anywhere, even on my iPhone, which is convenient for distance learning. Since starting the program my confidence as an Optometrist has been boosted and I now know I deliver a much higher standard of care to my patients. Any questions that I have are answered promptly by the module leader via email, and a telephone conversation can be arranged if required.

'I am now in the second semester and have changed from being an occasional learner to the Postgraduate Certificate as I found the more modules I chose the more inspired I was to learn. The tutors are experts in their fields and the variety of module choices makes me tempted to complete the full MSc.

'At the age of 25 I have already had a career break, but WOPEC has definitely brought my love for Optometry back!'

Entry Requirements

Applicants should normally hold a BSc (Hons) Degree in Optometry or a related subject. Please note that this is not a conversion course, you will need to be an eye care professional in order to apply for these courses.

English Language Requirements: Minimum University requirements (e.g. 6.5 IELTS)

Applicants for non-degree courses (those studying an individual module) are required to complete a paper application. Please contact pgoptom@cardiff.ac.uk for details.

Application Deadline: August and February of each year.

Note:The tuition fees listed below are per annum and may be subject to incremental raises.

Tuition Fees:

• UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £3,357.00
    MSc fee. PGDip fee: £2172. PGCert fee: £1629.
  • International Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £5,196.00
    MSc fee. PGDip fee: £3174. PGCert fee: £2382.

Next intake: September and March each year

School Contact

Name: OPTOM Postgraduate Taught Team  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0561 

Fax:  

Email: PGOptom@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/optom/pgt

More information

Funding Available

There are current funding opportunities for this course. Click here.

Postgraduate