Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Computing & IT Management (MSc)

1 year (Full-time) / 3 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)

Course Aims

Designed for graduates who want to move into computing from another discipline, this one-year programme provides you with a broad technical knowledge and a sound business context for managing IT systems. These are required to meet fundamental IT sector needs such as planning major projects or improving business processes, and are essential for those with aspirations of a management role in the IT sector.

Special Features

Course Description

Computing & IT Management

Through this programme you will get a fundamental understanding of software development and supporting technology relating to programming and database management. You will understand the professional skills required to lead IT managers, individually or as a part of a team working on business change projects.

With an emphasis on how computational systems can support business operation and the role of e-commerce, you will understand in detail the dependency between business operations and IT systems. You will be made aware of the challenges in IT management and develop an appreciation of the many factors on which successful IT projects depend.

In addition to being taught how to use industry standard products like Oracle™, you will have the option of learning about new and emerging technologies, such as cloud computing, that are radically changing the opportunities and threats for the provision of IT systems. You may also opt for human centric computing which focuses on defining and delivering effective information systems from a human centric perspective. Finally, 60 credits of the 180 credit programme concern a dissertation with individual supervision.

Course Structure

You may also opt for human centric computing which focuses on defining and delivering effective information systems from a human centric perspective.

Core Modules

Option Modules:

Skills Acquired

Graduates will have been provided with several opportunities to develop team working, project and time management skills. Whilst working towards their dissertation skills in independent thinking and working will have been enhanced.

Career Prospects

Recent graduates from the previous IT management stream in the MSc Computing programme have gained employment in roles such as systems analysts, business analysts and IT consultants.

Graduates are employed by organisations of all sizes locally, nationally and internationally. For example recent graduates have taken up positions with local NHS Trusts, Logica, Sun Microsystems, BT, and the National Library of Medicine in the USA.

Student Views

'I really wanted to start a career in IT and completing an MSc in Computing and IT Management enabled me to achieve this goal. I also learned the importance of gaining a degree from an internationally recognised University, because the good reputation of Cardiff University will boost my CV throughout my career.'

Simeon Ivanov, MSc Computing and IT Management, 2012-13

Read Simeon's full testimonial

'After successfully completing my exams, I received an offer of employment from one of the largest IT companies worldwide. I am currently a permanent employee and my job involves using most of the skills gained during the degree, including the use of JavaScript, as well as knowledge regarding the software development process in general.
'I really wanted to start a career in IT and completing an MSc in Computing and IT Management enabled me to achieve this goal. I also learned the importance of gaining a degree from an internationally recognised University, because the good reputation of Cardiff University will boost my CV throughout my career. My current employer valued the contemporary skills such as Cloud Computing and XML, combined with my interpersonal and communication skills.'

Entry Requirements

The programme is designed for students whose first degree does not have significant computing content.

Applicants will normally possess a good honours degree or equivalent professional qualification in a subject other than computing.

Non-graduates whose relative lack of formal qualifications is compensated for by relevant work experience will also be considered.

Applicants whose first language is not English are normally expected to meet the minimum University requirements (e.g. 6.5 IELTS, with at least 6.0 in each area).

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

Tuition Fees:

• UK & EU Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £7,560.00
  • UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £3,780.00
    Project fee: £945
  • International Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £17,500.00
  • International Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £8,750.00
    Project Fee: £1512

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Dr Leigh Hodge  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 9342 

Fax:  

Email: computing-pg@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Contact

Name: Dr. Wendy Ivins  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0248 

Fax:  

Email: w.k.ivins@cs.cardiff.ac.uk  

School Contact

Name: Ms Tracey Lavis (Administrative Contact)  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 6906 

Fax:  

Email:  

More information

Postgraduate