Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Master's Excellence ScholarshipsMinimum of £3,000 in tuition fee discounts available.

Diabetes (MSc/PgDip)

n/a (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / 2 years (PgDip); 3 years (MSc); (distance / e-Learning)

We are moving to a September start date for both the PgDip and MSc, bringing various benefits arising from having the same start date as other programmes in the University.  This will apply to the PgDip from 2016/17 and to the MSc from 2018/19

** students commencing their PgDip in Feb 2016 should note that if they subsequently apply to the MSc this would start in September 2018 not February 2018.

Note: The modules taught as part of the Diabetes PgDip programme are also available as standalone modules. Please see the Module List below for further details.

Course Aims

These programmes in Diabetes have been established to equip healthcare professionals who have an interest in diabetes with a sound knowledge of the subject. The course aims to offer knowledge and expertise in the pathophysiology and clinical management of diabetes.

The courses are a development of the Diabetes Research Unit which has an international reputation for teaching and research in diabetes. The programmes seek to encourage critical thinking and improve the understanding of diabetes and diabetes related topics. Students will be equipped not only with current factual knowledge but will also learn about strategies aimed at helping them consider how best to deal with future advances in therapy and management.

Special Features

Course Description - PgDip Stage

The Postgraduate Diploma in Diabetes is a 2-year, part-time, distance learning course providing high quality diabetes education to healthcare professionals and is completed online. The Diploma consists of 6 modules, each lasting 10 weeks, to include 3 core modules and a selection of 3 out of the 9 optional modules. Full module lists can be found under Course Structure below.

Other components of the course:

Introductory lectures are also held during each academic year of study. Attendance is not mandatory but strongly encouraged as it has been designed to give you a more holistic understanding of the topics and the course, as well as an opportunity to meet your fellow students and expert faculty.

Our introductory lectures are usually held in Cardiff, Dubai and India, however dates and locations are subject to confirmation. NB: Students are responsible for their own travel, accommodation, subsistence and other costs but there is no additional fee for currently registered Cardiff PgDip/MSc Diabetes students who attend the lectures.

Course Structure

Diploma Core Modules:

Diploma Optional Modules:

Students awarded a minimum of 60 credits, including a pass in both the Principles of Diabetes core module and the Management of Diabetes core module, plus a pass in any one other module listed above (core or optional), may be awarded the exit point award of PgCertificate in Diabetes.

All modules listed above are also available as standalone modules and may be run earlier than scheduled with sufficient demand. Please follow the relevant link for further information.

MSc Stage

The MSc in Diabetes is designed specifically for healthcare professionals who have completed the PgDip in Diabetes and wish to pursue further studies in this field.

The part-time, distance learning MSc runs over a period of 12 months. The MSc will begin with an introductory section (approx. 12 weeks) where candidates will be able to develop their knowledge and skills in analysis methodologies, critical appraisal and scientific writing. In keeping with PgDip teaching, the candidates will initially be in groups of 8 - 10, where learning can be facilitated by expert tutors.

After completing the 12 week introductory stage above, students will proceed to writing their Masters dissertation of up to 20,000 words over the remainder of the year. This can be in the form of either (a) primary data analysis using an existing dataset (to which either the student or the supervisor has access and all appropriate ethical and legal clearance to use), or (b) a systematic literature review with appraisal of published evidence, leading to guideline development.

Each student will have an individual supervisor who will provide guidance throughout the year. The student and supervisor will maintain regular contact either via the MSc website, or other means of communication as previously deemed appropriate by both (e.g. e-mail, teleconference, Skype).

Students will be expected to present a 2 page outline of the project by Week 8 of the introductory stage with final confirmation of project details with the supervisor by the end of Week 6 of the dissertation phase. The final dissertation will be submitted for marking by the end of the dissertation stage, with regular progress updates to be provided at set intervals in the interim.

Successful completion of the MSc programme will result in the award of 60 credits at Masters level. This is combined with 120 credits from the PgDip to lead to the award of an MSc in Diabetes from Cardiff University.

Student Views

'It is not often these days that you get the thrill of learning something new and feeling like you understand it.'

Dr Shaifali Joshi , MSc Student

Read Dr Shaifali's full testimonial

'It is not often these days that you get the thrill of learning something new and feeling like you understand it. In fact the first 10 weeks on this course have been equivalent to going to school for the first time, not knowing a thing, and ending the year knowing how to read and write!
I honestly feel that I have learnt how to "read" journal and trials results for the first time with a bit of insight. Thank you very much to all involved, for the study material and designing of the course thus far.'

Alumni Views

'Doing this diploma has really changed the way I practice'

Mrs Fiona Prins, Diploma, Diabetes Specialist Nurse

Read Fiona's full testimonial

'Doing this diploma has really changed the way I practice; I have a lot more confidence to question therapy decisions and stand my ground with my opinions. I have also learnt how to research issues I am still not familiar with and critically look at the possible answers I find in various studies and protocols. I found interacting with so many other participants absolutely invigorating as we all work in such diverse economic climates and patients settings. I have made friends for a life time with some of my group participants and will always value to support and privileges they have afforded me!'

'I have gained a lot of information that has helped me in my clinical work.'

Samia .A.Ali Elmiladi, current PgDip Diabetes student

Read Samia's full testimonial

'The course is theoretically based with some practical elements - it has really helped me update my knowledge. This will prove invaluable in my future clinical work. The tutors are encouraging and supportive and the course will really help me in future.'

Entry Requirements

Suitable for medical and allied healthcare practitioners, with clinical responsibility for individuals with diabetes, who will be future leaders and innovators in diabetes management in both primary and secondary care settings.

Candidates should possess a degree in Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing or relevant vocational qualification in a diabetes related clinical subject, in addition to satisfying the Cardiff University requirements for entry to postgraduate courses, including English Language requirements.

It is also a course requirement that students have access to a computer with a broadband internet connection.

To be eligible to apply for the MSc, students must already have been awarded 120 credits from having successfully completed AND achieved a merit/distinction in the Postgraduate Diploma in Diabetes (Cardiff University).

How to Apply

Applications are submitted online via the University's Online Application Service.

Tuition Fees 2015/16 (applicable to January/February 2016 MSc/Diploma intake)

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2015/16. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time n/a n/a
Part-time PgDip: £3,780
MSc (post-diploma): £3,780
PgDip: £4,800
MSc (post-diploma): £4,800
Deposit

PgDip fee inclusive of non-refundable deposit of £500.

MSc fee inclusive of non-refundable deposit of £700.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time n/a n/a
Part-time PgDip: £3,875
MSc (post-diploma): £3,875
PgDip: £5,625
MSc (post-diploma): £5,625
Deposit Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy. Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.

Next intake: MSc – September 2018; PgDiploma – September 2016

School Contact

Name: Diabetes Programme Team  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2074 5877  

Fax:  

Email: diabetes@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://www.diabetesdiploma.cf.ac.uk/

More information

Important legal information

The programme information currently being published in Course Finder is under review and may be subject to change. The final programme information is due to be published by July 2016 and will be the definitive programme outline which the University intends to offer. Applicants are advised to check the definitive programme information after the update, to ensure that the programme meets their needs.

Postgraduate

Contact us