Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Postgraduate Open DayMeet us at our next Open Day on the 30 November.

Ethics and Social Philosophy (MA)

1 year (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Course Aims

Offers knowledge and expertise for further research, postgraduate vocational training, or entry on to a variety of professional career paths.

Special Features

Course Description

The programme offers postgraduate teaching in ethics and social philosophy and emphasises the enhancement of skills relevant to advanced philosophical research.

Students are required to take four modules, each consisting of a weekly seminar for ten weeks, then to research and submit a dissertation of up to 15000 words on a topic of their own choosing (but subject to approval by the Board of Studies).

Course Structure

Full-time students take two modules per semester. Modules are to be chosen from the following indicative list:

• Ethics
• Social and Political Philosophy
• Agency and Responsibility
• Rationality and Normativity

Each module is assessed by 4000 word essay. In each case, students are provided with feedback on a first draft of 3000 words.

Skills Acquired

Career Prospects

Postgraduate study in the School is a gateway to many careers within and beyond academia. Many overseas postgraduates return to lectureships with much enhanced career prospects. Example employers in the UK include Cardiff University, HMRC, Mencap, Poetry Wales Magazine, Marie Curie Trust, Teach First, and Welsh Government, with jobs that include Crime Intelligence Analyst, Creative Writing Lecturer, Librarian, Poet, Recruitment Consultant, Teacher, and Writer.

Student Testimonials

'I've taken modules on Marx, Feminism, the Frankfurt School and the history of Political Philosophy, and  whether I was studying something I did at undergraduate level in greater depth, or encountering something completely new, I found the modules stimulating and the staff very supportive.'

David Evans

Read David's full testimonial

'I've thoroughly enjoyed my MA course in Ethics and Social Philosophy at Cardiff. There's a good choice of modules and a great range of expertise across the department, spanning the analytic / Continental divide, so whatever your interests you'll have plenty of support.  I've taken modules on Marx, Feminism, the Frankfurt School and the history of Political Philosophy, and  whether I was studying something I did at undergraduate level in greater depth, or encountering something completely new, I found the modules stimulating and the staff very supportive.  Highly recommended!'

Student Testimonials

'All of the academic and administrative staff were wonderfully helpful throughout, and I found my five years in the department to be really enjoyable and worthwhile. '

Natasha Wynne

Read Natasha's full testimonial

'I completed my BA in Philosophy at Cardiff and enjoyed it so much that I stayed on to do an MA in Ethics and Social Philosophy. The department offers a unique and very interesting mix of topics to study: whilst I was fully supported to pursue my interests in the history of Continental Philosophy, I was also introduced to rigorous analytic methods and very current research through modules in Ethics and Agency and Responsibility. All of the academic and administrative staff were wonderfully helpful throughout, and I found my five years in the department to be really enjoyable and worthwhile. I’m now working in the policy and public affairs team of a third-sector health organisation, and the skills I developed throughout my MA - from condensing large amounts of reading into coherent reports and presentations, to identifying the ethical and existential aspects of issues – have proved invaluable in this role. I couldn't recommend the course enough!'

Entry Requirements

Applicants from the United Kingdom will normally be expected to have a degree in Philosophy or Religious Studies, either Single Honours or Joint Honours, at least at 2.1 level. Applicants with degrees in related disciplines may also be considered. Applicants from abroad should have an equivalent qualification or period of study.

Additional experience may, in appropriate cases, compensate for a degree result below 2.1. Applications from non-graduates eligible for entry under Cardiff University Regulations will also be considered.

Applicants will usually be asked to submit written work to be considered with their application.

In addition, applicants whose first language is not English must obtain a British Council IELTS score of at least 7.0 (with a minimum subscore of 6.5 in each component), or an equivalent English language qualification. However, applicants with an IELTS score of 6.0 will be considered provided they undertake and successfully complete the University’s eight-week pre-sessional English course. This requirement may be waived if the applicant can furnish sufficient evidence that they are suitably proficient in the use of English.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £6,250 £14,750
Part-time    
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.
Notes

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: ENCAP Postgraduate Office, Timothy Collins  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 4722 

Fax:  

Email: encap-pg@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://cardiff.ac.uk/encap/

More information

School of English, Communication and Philosophy

Important legal information

The programme information currently being published in Course Finder is under review and may be subject to change. The final programme information is due to be published by July 2016 and will be the definitive programme outline which the University intends to offer. Applicants are advised to check the definitive programme information after the update, to ensure that the programme meets their needs.

Postgraduate

Contact us