Skip to navigation menu

Postgraduate Open Day 2015Visit us on 25 November 2015 - book your place now!

Civil and Geoenvironmental Engineering (MSc)

1 year (full-time) / 3 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Course Aims

To offer knowledge and expertise for a career as a consulting geoenvironmental engineer within a multi-disciplinary professional team.

Special Features

Course Description

This course is designed to provide specialist postgraduate professional development in this emerging discipline, encompassing areas traditionally within civil engineering, earth sciences and biology.

The course is comprised of taught modules in the Autumn and Spring semesters, followed by an individual research project. Topics studied on the course include:

Student Views

Picture of Alan Smith

'I chose to return to postgraduate study in order to get an edge in the job market.'

Alan Smith, Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate

Read Alan's full testimonial

"I chose to return to postgraduate study in order to get an edge in the job market. Geoenvironmental engineering is a growing field and I feel this type of specialist MSc will really enhance my career prospects. The course itself is very diverse and students benefit, in particular, from the School’s strong network of contacts in industry. I was also fortunate enough to secure funding for my postgraduate study from the EPSRC."

Entry Requirements

Applicants should possess at least an upper second class UK Honours degree (or equivalent) from a British or recognised overseas university.

Suitable for graduates in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Earth Sciences or Biosciences, or in a related numerate scientific discipline or for candidates with suitable professional experience. Applicants with relevant professional experience are also considered.

Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass IELTS exams. Minimum requirements is an IELTS score of 6.5. Please see our English language requirements for more information.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £7,750 £18,250
Part-time £2,750 £6,083
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, School of Engineering  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0050 

School Website:

More information