Hydro-environment Engineering (MSc)
1 year (Full-time) / 3 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
Offers knowledge and expertise for a career as a consulting water engineer within this specialist professional area of civil engineering.
- The course lecturers have considerable experience of working on a wide range of practical environmental hydraulics project and their models have been mounted by over 35 companies for over 80 world-wide EIA projects and by over 45 universities in 17 countries.
- This programme has been accredited by the ICE, IStructE, IHT and IHIE for intakes 2009-2013 inclusive. This programme is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (partial) BEng (Hons) or an Accredited IEng (full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree.
- See the JBM website for further information.
This course aims to complement a relevant undergraduate degree by introducing students to hydroinformatics, computational hydraulics and environmental hydraulics, including water quality indicators and sediment transport processes in coastal, estuarine and inland waters. The taught aspect of the course is delivered in the Autumn and Spring semesters, followed by an individual research project.
Topics covered on the course include:
- Environmental Hydraulics
- Environmental Hydrobiology
- Advanced Engineering Management
- Numerical Techniques in Water Engineering
- Geoenvironmental and Hydroenvironmental Modelling
- Water Quality Control
- Management in Industry
- Coastal and Estuarine Management
- Flood Design
- Environmental Law
An upper 2nd class UK Honours degree (or equivalent) from a British or recognised overseas university. Suitable for graduates in Civil or Environmental Engineering, or a related discipline or for non-graduate candidates with suitable professional experience.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass either IELTS/TOEFL exams, obtaining a minimum score of IELTS band 6.5 or equivalent.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
UK & EU Full Time for 2013/14
UK & EU Part Time for 2013/14
International Full Time for 2013/14
International Part Time for 2013/14
Next intake: September each year
Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, School of Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 4963