Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Masters Excellence Scholarshipsup to £500,000 in tuition fee discounts available

Language and Communication Research (MA)

1 year (Full-time) / 2 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)

Course Aims

Offers knowledge and expertise to prepare for research in linguistics and language and communication, as a PhD researcher, or in professional or commercial spheres.

Special Features

Course Description

The MA in Language and Communication Research is a full-time modular programme with modules taught over two semesters (comprising Stage 1), followed by a supervised dissertation of between 14,000 and 20,000 words (Stage 2) between May and September. Assessment of the taught component is by coursework only. The part-time modular programme involves following the same modules over two years.

Available Modules

Students select two modules in addition to the four compulsory modules:

Modules may vary slightly year-on-year, according to staff availability.

Optional modules may include:

Skills Acquired

Analytical and critical skills, writing and presentation skills.

Career Prospects

Postgraduate study in the School is a gateway to many careers within and beyond academia. Many overseas postgraduates return to lectureships with much enhanced career prospects. Example employers in the UK include Cardiff University, HMRC, Mencap, Poetry Wales Magazine, Teach First, and Welsh Government, with jobs that include Crime Intelligence Analyst, Creative Writing Lecturer, Librarian, Poet, Recruitment Consultant, Teacher, and Writer.

Student Testimonials

'The training I received during the MA component facilitated me with essential research skills, key readings of my field and numerous great discussions with staff and fellow-students..'

Jaspal Singh, MA Language and Communication Research 2011-2012, current PhD candidate

Read Jaspal's full testimonial

'Coming to Cardiff was one of the best decisions I took in my life. I am enrolled in a 1+3 programme at the Centre for Language and Communication Research. This programme begins with an intense one-year taught MA component and leads on to a three-year PhD research phase. The MA gave me a sound basis of knowledge, as well as a degree of confidence, on which I could generate ideas to take my studies further to my PhD project, which I have just started. The training I received during the MA component facilitated me with essential research skills, key readings of my field and numerous great discussions with staff and fellow students. The high proportion of international and mature students at postgraduate level acquainted me with a range of research traditions, cultural perspectives and languages – which are always fun to discuss and discover together. The members of staff at the Centre are all very approachable and took a great deal of time to support me; but they also gave me enough freedom to explore topics and methodologies on my own. I would say that this trust in their students, combined with their highly acclaimed expertise in and dedication to their respective fields, makes the staff at the Centre so exceptional and the experience of studying at Cardiff so stimulating and intense.'

Entry Requirements

Suitable for graduates with degrees related to linguistics, language and communication.

A First or Upper Second class UK honours degree, or equivalent is required. Applicants whose first language is not English are normally expected to have a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 overall.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

Cardiff University Masters Excellence Scheme

This course is included in the Masters Excellence Scholarship 2015 (Pathway to PhD) scheme. If you are looking at applying for a Masters degree with the intention of going on to study at PhD level then you are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The application will ask you to consider your research area and future sources of funding.  It is recognised, however, that in making this application there is not a commitment to undertake further study, or to undertake further studies at Cardiff University.  Similarly, in making an award, Cardiff University is not committing to making an offer for further study or for a further award.

Tuition Fees:

• UK & EU Full Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
    £5,850.00
  • UK & EU Part Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
    £2,925.00
  • International Full Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
    £14,000.00
  • International Part Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below).
    £7,000.00

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: ENCAP Postgraduate Office, Timothy Collins  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 4722 

Fax:  

Email: encap-pg@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://cardiff.ac.uk/encap/

More information

School of English, Communication and Philosophy

Postgraduate