Language and Communication Research (MA)
1 year (Full-time) / 2 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
Offers knowledge and expertise to prepare for research in language and communication, as a PhD researcher, or in professional or commercial spheres.
- The Centre for Language and Communication Research has a well established reputation in a broad range of teaching and research areas, including sociolinguistics, discourse analysis, multimodality, health communication, forensic linguistics, systemic functional grammar, phonology, and language education.
- The full-time programme carries Advanced Course Recognition from the ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council) as a postgraduate research training scheme.
The MA in Language and Communication Research is a full-time modular programme with modules taught over two semesters (comprising Stage 1), followed by a supervised dissertation of between 14,000 and 20,000 words (Stage 2) between May and September. Assessment of the taught component is by coursework only. The part-time modular programme involves following the same modules over two years.
Students select two modules in addition to the four compulsory modules:
- Foundation Module in Language and Communication Research
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Research Experience
Modules may vary slightly year-on-year, according to staff availability.
Optional modules may include:
- Language Description
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Discourse and Social Interaction
- Forensic Linguistics
- Text and Social Context
- Language and Lifespan Identity
Suitable for graduates with degrees related to linguistics, language and communication.
A First or Upper Second class
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the
UK & EU Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
International Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
International Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
Next intake: October each year
Name: ENCAP Postgraduate Office
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 4722