Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Master Scholarships £500,000 worth of scholarships available now

Language and Communication Research (MA)

1 year (Full-time) / 2 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)

Course Aims

Offers knowledge and expertise to prepare for research in language and communication, as a PhD researcher, or in professional or commercial spheres.

Special Features

Course Description

The MA in Language and Communication Research is a full-time modular programme with modules taught over two semesters (comprising Stage 1), followed by a supervised dissertation of between 14,000 and 20,000 words (Stage 2) between May and September. Assessment of the taught component is by coursework only. The part-time modular programme involves following the same modules over two years.

Available Modules

Students select two modules in addition to the four compulsory modules:

Modules may vary slightly year-on-year, according to staff availability.

Optional modules may include:

Skills Acquired

Analytical and critical skills, writing and presentation skills.

Career Prospects

Graduates have gone on to employment in the creative industries, media, marketing, management, and education.

Student Testimonial

Coming to Cardiff was one of the best decisions I took in my life. I am enrolled in a 1+3 programme at the Centre for Language and Communication Research. This programme begins with an intense one-year taught MA component and leads on to a three-year PhD research phase. The MA gave me a sound basis of knowledge, as well as a degree of confidence, on which I could generate ideas to take my studies further to my PhD project, which I have just started. The training I received during the MA component facilitated me with essential research skills, key readings of my field and numerous great discussions with staff and fellow-students. The high proportion of international and mature students at postgraduate level acquainted me with a range of research traditions, cultural perspectives and languages – which are always fun to discuss and discover together. The members of staff at the Centre are all very approachable and took a great deal of time to support me; but they also gave me enough freedom to explore topics and methodologies on my own. I would say that this trust in their students, combined with their highly acclaimed expertise in and dedication to their respective fields, makes the staff at the Centre so exceptional and the experience of studying at Cardiff so stimulating and intense.

Jaspal Singh, MA Language and Communication Research 2011-2012, current PhD candidate

Entry Requirements

Suitable for graduates with degrees related to linguistics, language and communication.

A First or Upper Second class UK honours degree, or equivalent is required. Applicants whose first language is not English are normally expected to have a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 overall.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

Tuition Fees:

• UK & EU Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £5,730.00
  • UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £2,865.00
  • International Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £13,500.00
  • International Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £6,750.00

Next intake: October each year

School Contact

Name: ENCAP Postgraduate Office  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 4722 

Fax:  

Email: encap-pg@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://cardiff.ac.uk/encap/

More information

School of English, Communication and Philosophy

Funding Available

There are current funding opportunities for this course. Click here.

Postgraduate