Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Master's Excellence ScholarshipsMinimum of £3,000 in tuition fee discounts available.

Maritime Policy and Shipping Management (MSc)

1 year (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Course Aims

To offer knowledge and expertise for a career as a manager in areas such as international shipping, ports and harbours, or sea trade, in either the private sector or for government agencies.

Special Features

Course Description

The programmes is practically oriented and draws heavily on the research and consultancy of the Faculty, reflecting the University’s leading international position in the field of maritime affairs. The dissertation stage  allows participants to further develop an area of special interest in the maritime field.

Course Structure

The course consists of one compulsory module in International Shipping Policy, plus 3 optional courses from:

You are also required to present a 15,000 word dissertation that is based on an approved research topic.

Career Prospects

The programme provides a wide range of professional skills and leads to a wide variety of job opportunities. Students find employment nationally and internationally, in ship operating/management companies, protection and indemnity clubs, industry associations and policy organisations.

Alumni Profile

'My experience in Cardiff was amazing. The study, library facilities and faculty were the best I have experienced... Cardiff Business School is one of the liveliest and most bustling places on campus so make the most of it.'

Siddarth Kulkarni, MSc Marine Policy graduate

Read Siddarth's full profile

Why did you decide to study at Cardiff Business School?

I had a few options available to me but Cardiff's rank, location and feedback from past students convinced me that it would be the ideal place for me to spend the year. At no point of time did I get homesick in Cardiff.

What advice would you give to somebody considering studying at Cardiff Business School?

Cardiff Business School is one of the liveliest and most bustling places on campus so make the most of it. The faculty is friendly and approachable; feel free to speak your mind and clear doubts whenever you have any.

The libraries are very well stocked and also offer online book renewal and reserving facilities, which allow you to reserve books from home. The online external databases include westlaw, ilaw, lexus amongst many others, which gives one access to raw materials for compiling very good course work. Anyone looking to study at Cardiff Business School must use the wide range of facilities the School has to offer.

What are your highlights from studying here?

My experience in Cardiff was amazing. The study, library facilities and faculty were the best I have experienced. I had adequate feedback for my course work and general class performance. The coursework was fun and very educational and the guest lecturers brought in were industry people who gave us amazing advice. 

What effect do you feel your qualification has had on your career?

My educational qualification is what got me my job with LMA. Knowing what kind of work I wanted to do before coming to Cardiff really helped me. My choices were not easy ones but lucrative ones to help me find work, which doesn’t come easily in the current economic environment.

What have you done since leaving Cardiff Business School?

Two months before submitting my dissertation I received an offer to work at Leena Mody & Associates (LMA) in Mumbai. India. I accepted it without batting an eyelid as it was exactly the kind of work I wanted to be involved in. As soon as school was out and I was back home, I started working there.

I am currently a Trainee Average Adjuster at LMA and am due for my exams in March, which will hopefully promote me to an Associate Member of the UK Association of Average Adjusters.

Entry Requirements

The course is suitable for graduates with an upper second class Honours degree in either Maritime Studies, Transport, Environmental Studies, Business Administration, Business Studies, Economics, Geography, Engineering or related areas.

Applications will be considered from recent graduates with an Honours degree from an approved university or those with a similar level of qualification gained by other methods. Non-graduates with approved professional qualifications or work experience may also be considered under certain circumstances.

Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass either IELTS exams, obtaining a minimum score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each category.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £6,750 £18,250
Part-time n/a n/a
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.
Notes

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, Cardiff Business School  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 6953 

Fax:  

Email: carbs-pg-admissions@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://business.cardiff.ac.uk/courses

More information

Important legal information

The programme information currently being published in Course Finder is under review and may be subject to change. The final programme information is due to be published by July 2016 and will be the definitive programme outline which the University intends to offer. Applicants are advised to check the definitive programme information after the update, to ensure that the programme meets their needs.

Postgraduate

Contact us