Skip to navigation menu

Postgraduate Open Day 2015Visit us on 25 November 2015 - book your place now!

Medical Education (MSc/PgDip/PgCert)

1 year (full-time) / 2 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

We also offer Medical Education programme via e-Learning.

medical education students

Course Aims

The course aims to promote excellence in learning and teaching. Participants can expect to:

Who is this Programme for?

The course is designed for teachers, trainers, supervisors and course co-ordinators in medicine, dentistry, radiography, nursing, physiotherapy, pharmacy and other fields, who wish to improve their understanding of educational principles and approaches and their ability to apply them in day-to-day educational work. Participants join us from many countries, including: Brunei, Egypt, Ethiopia, Germany, Ireland, Lebanon, Malaysia, Malawi, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Tanzania, Thailand, the Netherlands, Uganda, UK, West Indies, Oman and Zambia.

Why Choose this Course

Course Description

Established as the first United Kingdom taught Masters in medical education programme and now with over two decades of experience, the course continues to promote excellence in learning and teaching for all health care professionals with responsibilities for teaching, assessing and supporting students and trainees. Held in Cardiff, the programme will appeal to those wishing to explore the issues fundamental to effective health professions education, in a dynamic, stimulating and supportive setting.

Over 300 clinicians and other health professionals have joined the course from around the World. Many graduates use the insights gained on the course to introduce innovations to their day to day teaching, whilst others go on to higher level roles and responsibilities to lead and promote excellence in learning and teaching at national and international levels.

Course Structure

The following is an indicative list of available modules:

Learning and Teaching in Clinical Education

• exploration of individuals educational activities
  • learning and teaching in clinical settings
  • teaching methods and approaches
  • theories of learning and teaching
  • experiential learning and reflection
  • educational feedback
  • planning effective sessions

Educational Media & Technologies

• educational design principles
  • development of learning resources
  • technological innovations in education

Assessing Learning

• assessment principles and frameworks
  • methods and approaches for assessing students
  • strategies for improving workplace assessments

Evaluating Courses

• purposes and types of course evaluation
  • evaluating sessions, events and curricula
  • uses and abuses of evaluation strategies

Research Skills

• planning a research project
  • choosing educational research methods
  • developing research skills
  • analysing and interpreting quantitative and qualitative data

Contemporary Issues Options

• current issues and debates in health care education, for example:
    • becoming an effective mentor/mentee
    • supporting trainees with their careers
    • performance issues in doctors
    • effective leadership in healthcare education
    • writing for publication in education
    • educational supervision and personal tutoring
    • creating educational change

Effective Teaching Skills (optional)

• large and small group techniques
  • supporting learners in the workplace
  • developing teaching skills

Practical Teaching Project

• team design, co-ordination and evaluation of an educational event
  • enhancing teaching skills
  • peer review and personal development learning

Student Views

a medical education seminar

'I couldn't do anything but recommend it... it has set me up for a career in Medical Education.'

Rodney Peyton - Consultant Surgeon and Tutor in Education for the Royal College of Surgeons, England

'The content is relevant and the experience directed my enthusiasm appropriately'

Derek Skinner - Consultant ENT Surgeon, Shrewsbury

Read Derek's full testimonial

"I feel very positive about the course for RCS trainers. The content is relevant and the experience directed my enthusiasm appropriately... The course allowed me to understand the core educational principles behind assessment by exam for the RCS as well as linking in the syllabus/curriculum.

"Understanding the educational psychology (or trying to) helped with teaching/training practice including the dynamics of small group work have been very useful as well as understanding the various aspects of adult learning have been invaluable."

I believe that the course will be career-altering if not life-changing.

Ms Jill Webb - Consultant Hand and Plastic Surgeon, Birmingham

Read Jill's full testimonial

"As a consultant I have responsibility for 'co-ordinating' the education of doctors with very disparate training needs and diverse career aims and had to cope with new systems of recording progress and trainees learning in ways completely different from those I had been required to master. Feeling ill equipped to take on these new and different responsibilities I was recommended to this course. My hope was simply to learn how to teach better and to increase my confidence in the 'classroom'; but the Cardiff Diploma is not simply a PGCE for medics, teaching how to teach, it is much more.

"Whilst I am absolutely certain that it has improved my ability to teach and train; it has also given me an appreciation of the underlying principles of how the training systems were developed and why. I now have the building blocks to develop an education programme with an appreciation of many areas including assessment, evaluation and curriculum design.  While this was a huge culture shock initially, as I have always shied away from topics such as philosophy and psychology, I have found the course fascinating and so, so relevant. I believe that the course will be career-altering if not life-changing. I have now been invited on to the education and training committee of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH). We are currently developing a curriculum for hand surgery to use in collaboration with e-learning for health programmes.  This is an exciting project, which a year ago I would never have dreamed of being able to be involved with."

Entry Requirements

Suitable for all health professionals who have teaching, assessment and related educational responsibilities, such as teachers, trainers, educational supervisors, course co-ordinators, clinical and college tutors.

Applicants should also hold an initial degree from an approved University, or other qualification / proof of educational ability.

If English is not your first language please provide evidence of your English language qualifications, to fulfil the University's English language requirements.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

How to Apply

Applications should be completed using the Cardiff University Online Application Service.

Selection onto the course occurs after we have received your completed application, supported by two references and a copy of a degree certificate.

Applications will not be considered until all supporting documents are received.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time Diploma: £6,000
MSc: £7,250
Diploma: £14,500
MSc: £15,250
Part-time Diploma: £3,000
MSc: £3,625
Diploma: £7,250
MSc: £7,625
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.
Notes A reduced fee is available for Overseas students working within the NHS.

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Miss Sarah Howell  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2068 7449  

School Website:

More information

Wales Deanery (Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education)

Funding Available

There are current funding opportunities for this course. Click here.