Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Master's Excellence ScholarshipsMinimum of £3,000 in tuition fee discounts available.

Medical Education (E-Learning) (MSc/PgDip/PgCert)

n/a (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / 1 year (per stage) (distance / e-Learning)

This well established and accredited course in Medical Education can be studied within your own environment as the course is delivered online.

Course Aims

The course aims to offer knowledge and expertise to enable participants to design, deliver and evaluate courses and curricula for health professionals. It advances participants' awareness of educational innovations, theories and methods, and enhances their skills to implement and manage change and critically reflect on their educational activities.

This e-Learning course aims to produce competent, reflective and self-managing medical educators. Participants can expect to:

Special Features

Course Description

The Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert), Diploma (PgDip) and MSc in Medical Education form an e-Learning course offering build up of study credit via a three-stage progressive course, delivered online. The course will improve participants' understanding of educational principles and approaches and their ability to apply them in educational contexts. This course will appeal to those who wish to have a flexible approach to study at a distance and who also have access to good internet facilities.

Course Structure

The PgCert stage of the course takes one year to complete and amounts to 60 credits. Available modules include:

The PgDip stage of the course takes one year to complete and amounts to 60 credits. Available modules include:

The MSc stage of the course is the development and production of the dissertation, and amounts to 60 credits:

Skills Acquired

Medical Education

As a Masters level programme you will practice and develop a range of professional skills including:

Student Views

"The e-Learning format is an excellent way to gain the most out of a comprehensive course in a convenient and practical way."

Mohammed Ramji, Specialty Trainee

Read Mohammed's full testimonial

"The e-Learning format is an excellent way to gain the most out of a comprehensive course in a convenient and practical way. I gained a huge amount from the course in terms of developing a greater understanding about how to optimise the learning material and environment during my teaching. Being able to achieve this while fitting around clinical commitments has been ideal."

Mohammed Ramji, Specialty Trainee

“The support offered through this on-line programme is excellent and provides constructive learning through remote access.”

Llinos Roberts, GP Partner and Trainer

Read Llinos's full testimonial

“I have always been interested in medical education and recently developed this interest further by undertaking work as a tutor for medical students. Embarking on the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education seemed a natural progression. Since starting the course I feel that my teaching skills have improved significantly. The course has introduced me to educational theories that have deepened my understanding of what makes an effective teacher and of which teaching techniques offer the best results. The support offered through this on-line programme is excellent and provides constructive learning through remote access. Completing this programme has benefited me as a teacher, and has thereby enhanced the learning experience of my students. I was fortunate enough to have been awarded a bursary from the Welsh Deanery to help fund my studies. This has been a huge help for me especially as I embarked on the course towards the end of a period of maternity leave.”

Llinos Roberts, GP Partner and Trainer

“As a clinician I have always enjoyed teaching and the opportunity to complete a PGCE via distance learning with Cardiff University was the perfect way to cement my practice and allow me to develop as an educator.”

Lewys Richmond, ST6 Anaesthetic Trainee

Read Lewys's full testimonial

“As a clinician I have always enjoyed teaching and the opportunity to complete a Welsh Deanery supported PGCE via distance learning with Cardiff University was the perfect way to cement my practice and allow me to develop as an educator. The PGCE is both stimulating and challenging. It covers all areas from educational theory through to assessment methods in 4 modules. Whilst it has not focused on clinical teaching it has given me opportunity to think about my own teaching style and provided me with transferable skills that I will be able to integrate into my future educational practice. It can be tricky to fit in the extra work around your day job but completing a web based course gives you the flexibility to manage your own time so don't be put off! I consider myself very lucky to have received a Welsh Deanery bursary to help fund my studies and I would thoroughly recommend completing this course to anyone interested in medical education."

Lewys Richmond, ST6 Anaesthetic Trainee

Entry Requirements

The course is suitable for all health professionals who have teaching, assessment and related educational responsibilities, such as teachers, trainers, educational supervisors, course co-ordinators, clinical and college tutors.

Applicants should also hold an initial degree from an approved University, or other qualification/proof of educational ability.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time n/a n/a
Part-time PgCert (Stage 1): £3,000
PgDip (Stage 2): £3,000
MSc (Stage 3): £3,000
PgCert (Stage 1): £5,625
PgDip (Stage 2): £5,625
MSc (Stage 3): £5,625
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.
Notes

Next intake: October each year

School Contact

Name: Mr James Moore  

Telephone: +44 (0) 29 2068 7436 

Fax:  

Email: MooreJC3@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/pgmde/medicaleducation

More information

Wales Deanery (Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education)

Important legal information

The programme information currently being published in Course Finder is under review and may be subject to change. The final programme information is due to be published by July 2016 and will be the definitive programme outline which the University intends to offer. Applicants are advised to check the definitive programme information after the update, to ensure that the programme meets their needs.

Postgraduate

Contact us