Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Master's Excellence ScholarshipsMinimum of £3,000 in tuition fee discounts available.

Physiotherapy (MSc/PgDip)

1 year plus a further 6 months to submit dissertation (full-time) / 2 years plus a further 2 years to submit dissertation (part-time) / Research Methods and Health Improvement in Health and Social Care Module is available in two modes (University-based or blended/distance learning) (distance / e-Learning)

The optimal date for applications for 2016/2017 for Physiotherapy is the end of July 2016. Your application will be considered after this date but it may be for a later intake.

a group of physiotherapy students in class

Course Aims

Physiotherapy at the School of Healthcare Sciences, Cardiff University is ranked no. 1 in the UK, by both the Complete University Guide and the Times Good University Guide 2014, 2015 and 2016.

This course welcomes UK-based as well as international students. Throughout your studies, you will be immersed in all aspects of physiotherapy practice that will help you gain invaluable skills that you will use in the further advancement of your profession.

As part of this programme you will have the opportunity to work with internationally renowned researchers, including Prof. Robert van Deursen, Prof. Nicola Phillips, Prof. Monica Busse and Dr. Val Sparkes.

Dual Pathway:

We have recently developed a dual pathway available for Physiotherapists at any stage of their career (this includes newly qualified Physiotherapists). The programme has a flexible portfolio of modules that can be tailored to meet individual needs and develop the knowledge and skills in the areas such as research, education, leadership and management and clinical practice which are necessary to become an Advanced Practitioner.

Special Features

The MSc in Physiotherapy aims to facilitate individual CPD towards gaining a range of knowledge and skills. The flexibility of the programme allows a choice of modules to align with various career pathways, so that the route of study can be tailored to individual needs. For example:

The programme also involves:

Course Description

Developments within the Allied Health Professions, such as the emergence of clinical specialists, extended scope practitioners and consultant therapists, have created a need for the acquisition of advanced knowledge and skills.  

Listed below are the modules available to students registered on MSc in Physiotherapy programme. Further details about each module, including dates of study, please follow the module link.

Core Modules

The following is a core module for both Physiotherapists with 0-2 years clinical experience and Physiotherapists with 2+ years clinical experience:

HCT118 - Research methods and health improvement in health and social care - 30 credits

Pathway-Specific Modules

Pathway-specific students need to select a minimum of two from the group below:

The following Modules are available for Physiotherapists with 0-2 years clinical experience:

In addition to these modules, those Physiotherapists with 2+ years clinical experience can also choose from the following:

Optional Modules

Students may select a maximum of one from the group below:

Dissertation Modules

The following dissertation modules are compulsory for both Physiotherapists with 0-2 years clinical experience and Physiotherapists with 2+ years clinical experience:

Course Structure

The course is modular, with contact days arranged in blocks of 2-3 days spread over one or both semesters. Students must complete modules totalling 120 credits to be eligible for the exit award of Postgraduate Diploma. All students complete a compulsory generic module in Semester 1 in 'Research methods and health improvement in health and social care' (30 credits).

Full-time students undertake all taught modules during one academic year while part-time students undertake taught modules over two years. Each module is assessed individually by assessment procedures, all of which will consist of prepared work rather than unseen examination papers.

Students who then proceed to successful completion of a research project and subsequent dissertation (60 credits) will be eligible for the award of a Master of Science degree. Full time students have to submit their dissertation within 18 months of registering on the programme; part time students have to submit within 4 years of registering on the programme.

Skills Acquired

At the end of the course, the student should be able to:

Student Views

Picture of Ayisha Saloom Al Talaey

'I had excellent supervision to guide me during my course and dissertation.'

Ayisha Saloom Al Talaey

Read Ayisha's full testimonial

'It was an honour  to have an opportunity to study in Cardiff university. With all the difficulties I went through during the MSc course, it was worth it because it changed my way of thinking. I learnt how to think in critical way and take good decisions in so many aspects of my profession. Moreover, it had a positive effect on my entire life and personality. I'm now a responsible person with skills which can help me deal with all situations and problem-solving maters. I think this was possible because I had an excellent supervision to guide me during my course and dissertation.'

Ayisha Saloom Al Talaey

Picture of Aisyah Rosman

'At Cardiff University I have learnt to become a better healthcare professional in changing my practice in order to serve the patient best.'

Aisyah Rosman

Programme Commencement

Induction Day: Monday 12 September 2016

Entry Requirements

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

physiotherapy session taking place

How to Apply

Please submit your application via the Cardiff University Online Application Service.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £6,000 £18,250
Part-time* £3,000 £9,125
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.
Notes * Fees payable in years 1 and 2 only. Year 2 is subject to an inflationary increase of no more than 4.5% p.a.

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Healthcare Sciences Admissions Team (contact for admissions related enquiries)  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2068 7538 

Fax:  

Email: HCAREadmissions@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/healthcare-sciences

School Contact

Name: Karen Jones (contact for course related enquiries)  

Telephone:  

Fax:  

Email: joneskj@cardiff.ac.uk  

More information

Important legal information

The programme information currently being published in Course Finder is under review and may be subject to change. The final programme information is due to be published by July 2016 and will be the definitive programme outline which the University intends to offer. Applicants are advised to check the definitive programme information after the update, to ensure that the programme meets their needs.

Postgraduate

Contact us