Skip to navigation menu

Courses

Physiotherapy (MSc/PgDip)

1 year plus a further 6 months to submit dissertation (Full-time) / 2 years plus a further 2 years to submit dissertation (Part-time) / Research Methods Module only is available via Distance Learning (Distance / E-Learning)

picture of three students studying together

Course Aims

This course aims to develop students’ evaluative, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and to increase their practical and theoretical knowledge of physiotherapy, so that they can apply these skills in the further advancement of their profession.

Special Features

The distinctive features of the Programme include:

eight camera  VICON  system to assess  3D motion analysis

Course Description

Developments within the Allied Health Professions such as the emergence of clinical specialists, extended scope practitioners and consultant therapists, create a requirement for the acquisition of advanced knowledge and skills. 

The MSc in Physiotherapy aims to facilitate individual CPD towards gaining such knowledge and skills. The flexibility of the programme through the choice of subject specific modules (see list, below) allows a range of clinical areas to be studied tailored to individual needs. Students are therefore able to select from various combinations of clinical areas such as neurology, sport and exercise, musculoskeletal as well as ethics and learning & teaching in the workplace.

Course Structure

The course is modular, with contact days arranged in blocks of 2-3 days spread over the academic year. Students must complete modules totalling 120 credits, with at least 60 credits being in profession-specific or shared modules, to be eligible for the exit award of Postgraduate Diploma. All students complete a compulsory generic module in Research Methods in Health and Social Care (30 credits).

Full-time students undertake all taught modules during one academic year while part-time students undertake taught modules over two years. Each module is assessed individually by assessment procedures, all of which will consist of prepared work rather than unseen examination papers.

Students who then proceed to successful completion of a research project and subsequent dissertation (60 credits) will be eligible for the award of a Master of Science degree. Full time students have to submit their dissertation within 18 months of registering on the programme; part time students have to submit within 4 years of registering on the programme.

Skills Acquired

At the end of the course, the student should be able to:

Student Views

Picture of Inas

'Cardiff is the growing and exciting city that every international student is looking for.'

Inas, MSc Physiotherapy student from Oman

Read Inas's full testimonial

'My decision to come to Cardiff University was definitely the right choice to make. Studying the MSc Course has provided me with a myriad of new knowledge and experience.

'Being a paediatric physiotherapist, this course allowed me to gain an in depth insight into different rehab interventions offered to children with various underlying neurological pathologies.

'The different methods of assessments ensured the course was comprehensive, challenging, purposeful and stimulating in a way that encouraged continuous reflection and improvement in my university performance. Beside that all, Cardiff is the growing and exciting city that every international student is looking for.'

Picture of Nodoka

'My view as a clinician has completely changed and I have become more of a specialist.'

Nodoka, MSc Physiotherapy student from Japan

Read Nodoka's full testimonial

'Attending my MSc in Physiotherapy at Cardiff has definitely given me experience to improve my clinical practice. There is a great emphasis on evidence based practice which helped me consider the available evidence in the clinical setting, and course sessions always highlight the way theoretical knowledge links to practice. At the same time, I felt that tutors considered human behaviour and minds thus the course allowed for a more flexible way of thinking and this helped me reflect learning into a real clinical setting.

'The quality of teaching is excellent and tutors deliver interactive lectures which helped me to understand and develop an in-depth knowledge. In addition, tutors were reliable and helpful whenever I faced difficulties with my coursework. The environment by which I had to access teaching materials, library and equipment were efficient.

'I feel my view as a clinician has completely changed and I have become more of a specialist, so I really appreciate the experience of such a fascinating course.'

Picture of Omowumi

'Apart from the fact that the quality of education is good, the city of Cardiff is cool, beautiful and always green.'

Omowumi, MSc Physiotherapy student from Nigeria

Read Omowumi's full testimonial

'I am very proud to have studied my MSc in Physiotherapy at Cardiff University, ranked number 1 on the University subject table for 2014. The mode of learning at MSc level in Cardiff is primarily self-directed and I have found this to be helpful. Most of the classes are interactive sessions and the lecturers are always available to help students. They are also friendly and easy to approach.

'Resources such as textbooks and journals are readily available to students and there are various other educational and research facilities and equipment available to aid learning. I have found the study environment to be conducive for my learning and this has helped me develop my academic writing, which I had not been aware of previously.

'Apart from the fact that the quality of education is good, the city of Cardiff is cool, beautiful and always green. The city is multi-cultural and this makes it a friendly place to live in. Cardiff City is currently the European Capital City for Sport 2014 and has many tourist attractions, theatres, shopping malls and sporting arenas. Cardiff is a peaceful, friendly and fun place to study.'

Picture of Nodoka

'Studying part-time for an MSc whilst working in clinical practice within the NHS has given me the best of both worlds.'

Niki, MSc Physiotherapy (part-time) student from the UK

Read Niki's full testimonial

'Studying part-time for an MSc whilst working in clinical practice within the NHS has given me the best of both worlds. The course has ignited my passion for learning once more and I have taken a huge step in my personal and professional development.

'The modules I am studying are providing me with a depth of knowledge which is enhancing my clinical reasoning, leadership and patient management within my practice. I am enjoying studying with a wide range of other therapy and healthcare sciences students, and am looking forward to the opportunity to undertake my own research project in my area of specialism.'

Entry Requirements

Kin Com and Biodex  systems for muscle and proprioception testing and strengthening programmes

Suitable for qualified physiotherapists with at least two years' clinical experience.

Students admitted to the course should be in possession of:

Applicants whose first language is not English must satisfy the English Language requirements for entry to the university by attainment of a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS or equivalent.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

picture of group of students working together”  width=

Tuition Fees:

• UK & EU Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £5,730.00
  • UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £2,865.00
    Part-time: fees payable in Years 1 and 2 only
  • International Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £17,000.00
  • International Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
    £8,500.00

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Karen Jones  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2068 7789 

Fax:  

Email: joneskj@cardiff.ac.uk  

School Website: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/healthcare

More information

Funding Available

There are current funding opportunities for this course. Click here.

Postgraduate