Skip to navigation menu

Postgraduate Open DayMeet us at our next Open Day on the 30 November.

Strategic Marketing (MSc)

1 year (full-time) / n/a (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Course Aims

To offer knowledge and expertise for a career in marketing in the UK or overseas in industry, commerce or the public sector, or to pursue further research for a PhD.

Special Features

Course Description

The MSc in Strategic Marketing includes courses covering strategic marketing management, behavioural aspects of marketing, research in strategic marketing, integrated marketing communications, measuring marketing effectiveness, marketing and society, international marketing and digital media marketing.

After pursuing the taught modules, students carry out a marketing project to apply their knowledge and develop a plan addressing a marketing issue currently facing a real organisation.

Course Structure

The programme consists of two stages – the taught component and the marketing project.

Stage 1: Taught Programme

The taught programme is taught through a combination of formal lectures, student-let seminars, discussion of key texts and video material, case study analyses and group problem-solving exercises.

Semester 1:

• Strategic Marketing Management
  • Behavioural Aspects of Marketing
  • Research in Strategic Marketing
  • Intergrated Marketing Communications

Semester 2:

• Digital Media Marketing
  • Measuring Marketing Effectiveness
  • Marketing and Society
  • International Marketing

Stage 2: The Marketing Project

The Marketing Project enables you to work on a real-life marketing problem in a business, public sector or non-profit organisation. You will work in a team of three to five members, supervised by an academic. You will spend two months learning about the organisation’s operating environment, analysing their marketing challenges, designing a marketing plan for the organisation and presenting the proposed solution to their management board as a formal presentation.

Alumni Profile

Student Views

'My MSc helped me develop my career and to explore new possibilities. I have gained and acquired critical and indispensible skills in marketing sciences and marketing management.'

Sthembiso Phakathi, MSc Strategic Marketing,

Read Sthembiso's full testimonial

Why did you decide to study in Cardiff?

Wales, and Cardiff city specifically, is a very friendly and warm environment with many diverse cultures. My friend had visited before and always told me good stories about Cardiff so I became interested in visiting Wales.

In addition, Cardiff Business School seemed the only suitable place to offer the type of degree that I was looking for – and I was fortunate enough to obtain a prompt positive response to my application.

What effect has your degree had on your career?

My MSc helped me develop my career and to explore new possibilities. I have gained and acquired critical and indispensible skills in marketing sciences and marketing management. Additionally, I have been able to enhance my market research skills and have been able to apply this knowledge in other areas of my profession.

What are your highlights from studying at Cardiff Business School?

One of the key highlights at the Business School was our marketing management and marketing research classes. I loved the passion and enthusiasm of the lecturers and visiting professors that taught us. I increasingly became very interested in marketing research and thoroughly enjoyed reading journals and articles in this subject area.

What did you enjoy most about living in Cardiff?

I really enjoyed the scenery, the botanic gardens, the castle and the Roath Park. The environment and the landscape are quite simply awesome! I also made a lot from friends from my class as well as from my student halls in Talybont. I thoroughly enjoyed cooking with my friends and walking to the shopping centre for groceries, as well as going to the gym on campus where I also made many friends.

The night life in Cardiff was buzzing! I enjoyed going to clubs and movies with my friends every now and then and really miss that part of my experience

What have you done since leaving Cardiff Business School?

After graduating, I returned home to South Africa and was recruited by Deloitte Consulting (Pty) Ltd. I joined Deloitte’s Human Capital practice, specialising in organisation design, governance and strategic change.

Over the past four years I’ve been involved in many large scale transformation projects where I advise on enterprise project management, organisational structuring, governance and change leadership. I have assisted many clients with the design and development of end-state operating models and transformation strategies.

Entry Requirements

The course is suitable for graduates in business administration, management, marketing or other areas of the humanities and social science.

Students are required to have the equivalent of an Upper Second class degree in marketing/business or management from an approved University with at least two modules related to marketing e.g. principles of marketing, advertising, consumer behaviour, and a module in statistics/algebra/maths for business.

Non-graduates with approved professional qualifications or work experience may also be considered under certain circumstances.

Applicants whose first language is not English are required to obtain a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each category (or an equivalent English language qualification).

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £11,250 £19,500
Part-time n/a n/a
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, Cardiff Business School  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 6953 

School Website:

More information

Contact us