Structural Engineering (MSc)
1 year (Full-time) / 3 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
Offers knowledge and expertise for a career as a consulting structural engineer within this specialist professional area of civil engineering.
- The employment record of graduates is excellent, with the majority of graduates joining engineering consultancies.
- This programme has been accredited by the ICE, IStructE, IHT and IHIE for intakes 2009-2013 inclusive. This programme is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (partial) BEng (Hons) or an Accredited IEng (full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree.
- See the JBM website for further information.
This course is designed to provide specialist postgraduate professional development across the areas of steel, concrete and timber design, structural dynamics, and structural mechanics. Taught material is delivered during the Autumn and Spring semesters.
- Advanced Engineering Management
- Steel Structures
- Advanced Structural Mechanics
- Advanced Concrete Materials and Structures
- Engineering Geology
- Environmental Building Studies
- Numerical Techniques in Engineering
- Dynamics and Structures
- Structural Engineering
- Theoretical Soil Mechanics
- Management in Industry
- Engineering Case Study
- Tensile Structures
Suitable for graduates in Civil or Structural Engineering, or a related discipline or for candidates with suitable professional experience.
An upper 2nd class UK Honours degree (or equivalent) from a British or recognised overseas university is usually required. Applicants with relevant professional experience are also considered.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass either IELTS/TOEFL exams. Minimum requirements: IELTS score of 6.5, or equivalent.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
UK & EU Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
UK & EU Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
International Full Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
International Part Time for 2014/15 unless otherwise specified below
Next intake: September each year
Name: Postgraduate Admissions Office, School of Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 4963