Skip to navigation menu

Postgraduate Open Day 2015Visit us on 25 November 2015 - book your place now!

Translation Studies (MA)

1 year (full-time) / 2 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Our highly successful MA Translation Studies attracts a wide range of well-qualified international and home students each year. It offers core training in the theory and practice of translation before allowing them to specialise in specific pathways as they choose from our broad range of optional modules.

Translation Studies

Course Aims

This course offers knowledge and expertise for students wishing to pursue a career as professional translators in the public and private sectors, or wishing to pursue further study in Translation. Training in translation also prepares students for careers in other language-related professions, including journalism, public relations or language teaching.

Specifically, the programme aims to:

Special Features

Course Structure

The programme offers a balanced combination of theory and practice modules.

Part one consists of two compulsory modules:

The following optional modules are available:

Part Two of the course requires either a research-based dissertation of approximately 20,000 words or an annotated translation project comprising a translation of approximately 8,000 words in the source text and 12,000 words of reflective commentary.

Student Testimonials

'The staff are always friendly and approachable.'

Alison Mewes, MA Translation Studies student

Read Alison's full testimonial

"Having taken the Specialised Translation module in Medical and Pharmaceutical texts here at Cardiff, I decided that it would be very advantageous to take the Work Placement module with an employer in the medical field. Working between Russian, Ukrainian, German and English, my plan for the training module was to improve my translation skills and gain experience in the professional world. As I have discovered, demands for experience and comprehension of medical language are often stressed by the employer. On completion of my work placement, I felt more confident to apply my theoretical knowledge in practice and reflect critically on my work. I learned how to deal with confidential information in a professional manner, present my ideas clearly and use my organisational skills to help me work more efficiently. I thoroughly enjoyed it."

Career Prospects

Our graduates enter a variety of professions: freelance translation, in-house translation for a large corporation, PhD study, Government administration, University administration, a range of roles in large trans-national organisations such as the United Nations World Health Organisation.

Entry Requirements

Candidates should possess or expect to obtain a relevant undergraduate languages degree at a minimum of upper second class honours (2:1) level. It is particularly suitable for graduates in language, translation studies, literature and disciplines broadly conceived to have a humanities focus. Applicants with alternative undergraduate degree backgrounds will be given the opportunity to demonstrate that they possess the appropriate linguistic skills and competences for the programme in the context of the written language test and interview.

Non-native speakers of English are expected to have a recognised English-language qualification (e.g. IELTS with a total score of 7 and no subsection below 6.5), as the minimum requirement to be invited to interview. Written and oral competence in English will also be tested at interview.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

The deadline for applications onto this programme is 12 June 2016, 00:00 (midnight).

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £6,000 £15,000
Part-time £3,000 £7,500
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Alex Ford (PG)  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0824 

School Website:

More information