Skip to navigation menu

Postgraduate Open Day 2015Visit us on 25 November 2015 - book your place now!

Translation Studies (MA)

1 year (full-time) / 2 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Our highly successful MA Translation Studies attracts a wide range of well-qualified international and home students each year. It offers core training in the theory and practice of translation before allowing them to specialise in specific pathways as they choose from our broad range of optional modules.

Translation Studies

Course Aims

This course offers knowledge and expertise for students wishing to pursue a career as professional translators in the public and private sectors, or who are interested in the study of translation. Training in translation also prepares students for careers in other language-related professions, including journalism, public relations or language teaching.

Specifically, the programme aims to:

Special Features

Course Structure

The programme offers a balanced combination of theory and practice modules.

Part one consists of two compulsory modules:

The following optional modules are available:

Part Two of the course requires either a research-based dissertation of 20,000 words or an annotated translation project comprising a translation of approximately 8,000 words in the source text and 12,000 words of reflective commentary.

Student Testimonials

'The staff are always friendly and approachable.'

Alison Mewes, MA Translation Studies student

Read Alison's full testimonial

'I think that the fact that this course offers a mixture of practical and theoretical modules. Graduates of this postgraduate scheme will leave with the skills to translate between any language pairs and not being limited to certain languages make this course very attractive. The fact that the course is accredited is also very appealing. The staff are always friendly and approachable and are willing to give you that extra bit of help or support.'

' On completion of my placement, I felt more confident to apply my theoretical knowledge in practice and reflect critically on my work.'

Yevheniya Polovyk, MA Translation Studies student

Read Yevheniya's full testimonial

'Having taken the Specialised Translation Module in Medical and Pharmaceutical texts here at Cardiff, I decided that it would be very advantageous to take the Work Placement module with an employer in the medical field. Working between Russian, Ukranian, German and English, my plan for the Training Module was to improve my translation skills and gain experience in the professional world.

' As I have discovered, employers often demand experience and comprehension of medical language if you want to become a specialized medical translator. On completion of my placement, I felt more confident to apply my theoretical knowledge in practice and reflect critically on my work. I learned how to deal with confidential information in a professional manner, present my ideas clearly and use my organisation skills to help me work more efficiently. I thoroughly enjoyed it!'

Career Prospects

Our graduates enter a variety of professions: freelance translation, in-house translation for a large corporation, PhD study, Government administration, University administration, a range of roles in large trans-national organisations such as the United Nations World Health Organisation.

Entry Requirements

Candidates should possess or expect to obtain a relevant undergraduate languages degree at a minimum of upper second class honours (2:1) level. It is particularly suitable for graduates in language, translation studies, literature and disciplines broadly conceived to have a humanities focus. Applicants with alternative undergraduate degree backgrounds will be given the opportunity to demonstrate that they possess the appropriate linguistic skills and competences for the programme in the context of the written language test and interview.

Non-native speakers of English are expected to have a recognised English-language qualification (e.g. IELTS with a total score of 7 and no subsection below 6.5), as the minimum requirement to be invited to interview. Written and oral competence in English will also be tested at interview.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

The deadline for applications onto this programme is 12 June 2016, 00:00 (midnight).

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Alex Ford (PG)  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0824 

Fax: +44 (0)29 2087 4946 

School Website:

More information