Transport and Planning (MSc)
1 year (Full-time) / n/a (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
The course aims to develop in students the capability to make an effective contribution at the highest level to the planning, policy making and management of transport in both the UK and overseas.
- This MSc is professionally recognised by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT). This means that all graduating students are exempt from the qualifying examinations of the Institute.
- Also recognised by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) as a 'specialist' masters, allowing those who have completed a three year RTPI recognised undergraduate spatial planning degree to complete the RTPI's educational requirements for membership.
- Offers students an opportunity to study the subject of transport at a postgraduate level within a School which specialises in regional planning and geography.
The MSc Transport and Planning is unique in offering students an opportunity to study different aspects of transport (planning, policy, operation and management) as well as other areas of urban planning in general. Course learning outcomes include:
- Explain and demonstrate the principles and practice of transport scheme appraisal and evaluation;
- Understand and be able to use statistical and modelling methods for analysing travel behaviour and a range of transport options;
- Critically appraise a range of transport policies for promoting greater sustainability at national, regional and local levels;
- Design transport policies at the local level that respond to the economic, social, health and environmental challenges of the society.
Relevant concepts, ideas and policy cases are introduced in core modules including Principles of Transport Economics, Sustainable Transport and Transport and the City. Analysis skills are primarily taught in Transport Analysis. As part of their coursework, students formulate a set of transport policies in a city context on the basis of the theories and principles they learned from other modules.
The course is divided into two parts:
- Part 1 comprises a teaching programme of core and option modules over two semesters. The core modules provide the necessary analytical, economic and planning framework, while the selection of option modules provides the opportunity to study particular aspects of transport and related topics in depth.
- Part 2 comprises an individual dissertation on a topic related to transport, selected in consultation with members of staff. Students have discretion to select topics over a wide area, including, for students from overseas, issues arising in their country of origin.
The following list relates to the modules for the academic year 2012/13. Please note that these may be subject to change.
- Principles of Transport Economics
- Researching Transport
- Sustainable Transport Policies
- Transport Analysis
- Transport and the City
- Environmental Management
- Housing in a globalising world
- Planning and Real Estate
- Site Planning, Design and Development
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Urban and Regional Development in Practice
- Urban and Regional Dynamics
For further details and up-to-date information on the course and modules, please see the course listing on the School's website.
Computer-based Statistical Analysis; GIS; understanding and using transport models; understanding and using simulation models; professional presentation skills (written and verbal); project management with live projects.
The course offers the knowledge and expertise for a career in major transport planning and engineering consultancies, local authorities and transport operators.
Our Alumni collectively represent the variety of potential careers and jobs that our current (and future) students may embark on.
Applicants should normally hold a first or second class Honours degree in an appropriate subject. This MSc is suitable for graduates in geography, planning, transport, engineering, science and social science. Applicants with good degrees in other disciplines and/or mature students with a relevant professional background (e.g. MILT, MCIT, MRTPI, CEng) or qualifications will also be considered.
A minimum standard in English language of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent will be required for students whose first language is not English. Pre-course English Language tuition is available.
A number of field study visits may be arranged during the course. The School does partly subsidise these trips but students should allow for travelling and subsistence expenses.
Cardiff School of Planning and Geography is able to offer a reduction in tuition fees of £500 (or £250 reduction in each year of a part-time course) to all Cardiff University alumni.
For other funding opportunities available through the School, please visit their Tuition Fees and Funding webpage.
The fees quoted here are those before bursaries have been deducted.
There are additional, external funding opportunitities, such as the Rees Jeffreys Road Fund Bursaries and the Brian Large Bursaries. Applications for these are not submitted by students. Recommendations for these awards are made by the course director after application has been received, according to advice from funders.
Cardiff University Masters Excellence Scheme
This course is included in the Masters Excellence Scholarship 2015 (Pathway to PhD) scheme. If you are looking at applying for a Masters degree with the intention of going on to study at PhD level then you are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The application will ask you to consider your research area and future sources of funding. It is recognised, however, that in making this application there is not a commitment to undertake further study, or to undertake further studies at Cardiff University. Similarly, in making an award, Cardiff University is not committing to making an offer for further study or for a further award.
UK & EU Full Time (fees are for 2015/16, unless otherwise stated):
International Full Time (fees are for 2015/16, unless otherwise stated):
Next intake: September each year
Name: Dimitris Potoglou
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 6088