Skip to navigation menu

Postgraduate Open DayMeet us at our next Open Day on the 30 November.

Biological Chemistry (MSc)

1 year (full-time) / 3 years (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)

Course Aims

The chemistry of biological processes is the basis of all life on the planet. By studying aspects such as biosynthesis, retrosynthetic analysis, molecular biology and the principles of drug development this course will develop an understanding of the pathways that are core to chemical biology. Also, applications of biological catalysts in industrial processes, synthetic methods and spectroscopy will all be suitable for graduates wishing to develop their knowledge and to pursue a career in academia or industry.

Special Features

Course Description

The course will develop in students an understanding of the chemical background of biological problems and processes at the interface between Chemistry and Biology. Students will be able to study real life systems and research into areas at the forefront of chemical biology. Differing aspects such as natural product synthesis, biocatalysis and molecular modelling of such systems will all be explored in this exciting new course.

Available Modules

Skills Acquired

Students will develop key skills including learning skills, information handling and presentation skills, all which can be applied to industrial and academic working environments.

Career Prospects

The course will allow students to enter the employment sphere of biological chemistry research and related industrial sectors. Graduates will have gained an in-depth education in biocatalysis, organic chemistry, natural product synthesis and medicinal chemistry and their related applications.

Student Views

Picture of Tarandip

'I was overwhelmed by Cardiff's beauty, elegance, and its Welsh culture.'

Tarandip, MSc Chemical Biology

Read Tarandip's full testimonial

'After graduating with a BSc. in Biochemistry and then working for a few years in the field, I decided that I wanted to earn a postgraduate degree. Many areas of science interested me and I was unsure of what options were best suited for me. I was advised by a kind and helpful member of staff of Cardiff University that the MSc in Chemical biology is a suitable degree for me due to my academic and work background.

'When I got accepted for this degree I visited Cardiff and was overwhelmed by its beauty, elegance, and its Welsh culture.  The staff members including the professors are very understanding and hospitable and the campus is filled with several places to study including many libraries and study rooms. The MSc in Chemical Biology involves various topics including organic chemistry, biology and biochemistry, and because of this a wide variety of research and work possibilities will be available afterwards.

'Even though this degree is very demanding, I have still managed to become extremely fond of some topics such as Natural Products, Drug Design and Biocatalysis. Due to my interest in these areas, I would like to further my studies by pursuing a PhD in the future. If given the opportunity, I will not hesitate to return to Cardiff for future academic or work purposes.'

Tarandip Narang, MSc Chemical Biology student

Picture of Hala

'Cardiff University is the best university in Wales and it guarantees high quality education along with the best facilities in research.'

Hala, MSc Chemical Biology

Read Hala's full testimonial

'There are many aspects to consider when applying to a postgraduate degree. However, when the time came for me to pursue an MSc in a field of my interest, chemistry was my top choice with no hesitation. Chemistry appealed to me when I was studying medical laboratory technology as my bachelor degree.

'Although it might seem that these two fields are not closely related, but year after year I became more eager to understand the chemistry that is coordinating all our biological processes. Luckily, the MSc in Chemical Biology program in Cardiff University offered all the answers.

'Cardiff as the capital of Wales offers its citizen lots of activities because there is always something going on. The University makes it very easy to integrate smoothly because it is situated at a close proximity to everything and has everything an international student might need. Moreover, Cardiff University is the best university in Wales and it guarantees high quality education along with the best facilities in research.

'The admission staff were also very helpful in answering all my inquiries and helped me to reach a more informed decision. Future plans would definitely include a PhD in Medicinal Chemistry. Otherwise, Chemical Biology opens the doors to different fields including pharmaceuticals and drug design as well as vast research opportunities.'

Hala Issa, MSc Chemical Biology student

Entry Requirements

Suitable for graduates in chemistry or a related discipline, e.g. chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmacy, pharmacology and biochemistry, with a 1st or 2nd class UK Honours degree or equivalent. Applicants with a degree in a subject other than chemistry will be required to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of key chemical topics prior to an offer being made.

Additional Information

Please include in your personal statement why you are applying for this course, with specific details such as what your future aspirations are, how your educational or professional background makes you a suitable applicant and what interests you about the course. Generic statements will not be accepted.

Application Deadline: 5 September 2016

Please note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

Tuition Fees 2016/17

Fees quoted are for the academic session 2016/17. For programmes lasting more than one year, tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to an increase of no more than 4.5% per year.

UK & EU International
Full-time £7,750 £18,250
Part-time £3,875 £9,125
Deposit n/a Includes a £1,000 deposit. More information about our deposit policy.

Next intake: September each year

School Contact

Name: Dr Thomas Tatchell  

Telephone: +44 (0)29 2087 0759 

School Website:

More information

Contact us