PhD 3 years, MPhil 2 years (full-time) / opportunities available (part-time) / n/a (distance / e-Learning)
- Each full-time research student is allocated office space in the School’s own Graduate Centre.
- Research students are entitled to financial support for travel or research related to their approved subject (e.g. attending a conference or visiting a specialist library) for every year of their supervision.
- Students may be offered the opportunity to undertake part-time teaching on the undergraduate programmes.
- The School encourages individual diversity and promotes innovation in research.
We can offer supervision in a wide range of legal subjects including:
- Civil Justice
- Criminal Law and Justice
- Discrimination Law
- European Law
- Family Law (including its international aspects)
- Governance and Devolution
- Human Rights
- International Commercial Law
- Medical Law
- Property Law
- Public Law, Theory and Policy
- Shipping Law
- Social Care
If the area in which you are interested is not in the areas we mention, please feel free to contact us for an informal discussion.
Applicants should have a good Honours degree in Law (2:1 or equivalent).
Those whose first language is not English must obtain a score of at least 7.0 in IELTS (with no less than 6.5 in the writing element).
In addition to your formal application to the University we ask that you also send the Law School a clear statement of your research proposal of about 5,000 words. Please note that we ask you to send your proposal to the Law School, not to the University Registry. For more information on How To Apply, please visit the School's website.
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
Next intake: The University has four entry points for research degrees: 1 October, 1 January, 1 April, or 1 July
Name: MPhil/PhD Enquiries, Cardiff Law School
Telephone: +44 (0)2920 874 351
School Website: http://www.law.cardiff.ac.uk